COVID-19: Messaging From InsurersMarch 30, 2020
7 Myths About Tenants InsuranceMay 8, 2020
Should I Change My Vehicle From All Purpose to Pleasure?
Our day to day lives have quickly changed and for most of us our work life has changed dramatically over the past couple of weeks. Practicing social distancing and adapting to your new work environment that may include being a part time teacher at home for your kids, there is lots going on for everyone.
As all of this is hitting us so fast it’s hard to keep up with things like auto insurance and the potential changes that you could be making. Depending on if you are now taking your own vehicle to work instead of public transit or your working from home now, you should consider updating your auto insurance policy to reflect these new realities.
To help you determine whether your auto insurance policy should be changed or not we have outlined the main differences between Pleasure and All-Purpose Vehicle use.
- You are allowed to drive dependents to and from school
- Anyone driving themselves to and from school do not classify for Pleasure Use
- You are allowed to drive to and from work up to four times per month or 1,609 km maximum throughout your rating term
- You are not allowed to use your vehicle for any business purposes
- Pleasure Use is designed for people who take other forms of transportation to work or school, able to work from home, who are retired, stay at home parent or on maternity leave.
- You are not limited to any specific type of vehicle use
- All Purpose Use is designed for people who are going to or from work (or part way) more than four times per month or over 1,609 km throughout their rating term, for business purposes on a regular basis or to or from school
- You will not be using your vehicle for an extended period of time
- You are working from home and will no longer need your vehicle, some common examples of this type of coverage are motorhomes, sports cars and farm/fishing trucks
- Your vehicle would not be covered for by damage caused by collision or upset while in storage
- We can provide you with an SMI extension policy that will provide additional coverages if needed
There are many different factors to consider before making a change from All Purpose to Pleasure Vehicle Use and working from home is only one of them. You will need to determine the cost of making a change like this as well as if the length of time your work from home situation may last. This is where contacting an auto insurance broker at Guild/HMS Insurance is an important step to make sure the decision you make is in your best interest now and in the future.
With everything going on in our own lives and in the world right now, we are here to help you in whatever way works best for you. We set ourselves up digitally to give you as many different channels possible to reach one of our brokers to get the help you need when you need it. If you want, you can call us at 1-866-277-4949 or text us 204-729-4949 or email email@example.com we are able to service your auto insurance transactions remotely in the way you choose.